It is no longer enough to simply complain about the moral erosion of our nation. If we admit as Christians that abortion and Gay “marriage” in America are the result of our passive stance in the midst of an ever-degrading society, then we must repent and begin to live as disciples of Christ in this society. This is the time in which the Church must demolish every thought of impotence that stagnates us, and cleave on to the truth that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. (Phil 4:13)
The following is a plan of action that could serve both to unite Christians under the banner of the Cross and realign our nation with the path of righteousness.
1. Press Denominational Leaders- Lay persons should begin grass-roots associations that unite in order to ask our denominational leaders to work towards leading the various denominations to actively (and swiftly) work towards unity in purpose and Christian love, while respecting our distinctive differences. Unless Bible-believing Christians learn to unite in the essentials of the Christian Faith, our witness to the world will be useless.
John 13:35 (NIV) “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
2. Plan of Action- Righteousness does not happen by osmosis. Unless the Church is proactive by creating and implementing a plan of action, the Church will continue to fragment and the nation will not be saved. One of the ways that we learned through Gandhi of India was to pressure the powers that be through financial protest. For instance, the various denominations can start a plan in order to prepare for a national boycott.
Let us say, if Christians committed to not use fast food restaurants of any type for a year, not only would we get healthier, we would place tremendous pressure on the politicians who are oftentimes swayed by lobbyists.
Better yet…Christian denominations should invent a new variety of “Christian Products” that are marketed primarily for Christians. This would bring competition in the market, and would force other companies to have to comply to Christian standards if they are interested in our dollars.
3. Excommunications- Part of the problem in America is that the leaders of the mainline denominations have grossly tolerated the many politicians that although pay lip service to God, actively support abortion and gay marriage. These persons should be given an opportunity to repent, but if they do not, the various denominations should excommunicate these persons and commit to support one another in those excommunications.
4. Building of Christian Towns- Christians have the right to buy and/or build towns and live in them as long as they follow the laws of the State. There is no reason why Christians cannot begin to move into our own towns, establish our own standards, and provide products for ourselves.
5. Creation of Sports Teams– If the various denominations invested in their own Christian sports teams, they could begin to compete with the worldly teams and inundate the media with our presence.
6. A New Form of Worship- The Western Church can keep its denominational distinctives…but as a whole, we are in great need of a simple and heart-felt form of worship through which we can unite as a people of the Cross- and as Christ’s body celebrate his presence in our hearts.