The word “Christian” means “follower of Christ.” A follower of Christ is a person who has been enlightened by the Good News (Gospel) that God has bridged the relational gap that existed between Him and us through His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. God has reconciled himself to all of humankind through Christ’s sufferings and death on a Cross.
The dark deeds and desires (sin) that kept us in dissonance with God, were all carried by Jesus Christ on the Cross, where he suffered in flesh and spirit the just condemnation that was due to us. Christ’s freewill, substitutionary act of love was sealed and guaranteed by his physical and tangible resurrection from the dead.
After living with his disciples for 40 Days, Christ ascended into heaven, where he exalted our human condition from a fallen, bestial state of ignorance, to a sharing of his divine nature and authority over all creation.
In addition to renewing our inner person by grace through faith in Christ, God has also promised to transform our bodies from its current lowly state, to be like the incorruptible body of Jesus. This final act of salvation will occur when Jesus Christ returns at the close of the age to judge the living and the dead.
If you feel that God is calling you to become a disciple of Christ and you believe in the good news of salvation, then there are a few simple steps you should follow:
- Simply Believe and Accept– that salvation is an unmerited, divine gift, based solely on the salvific work of Jesus Christ on the Cross.
- Repent- You must forsake the former way of living that was contrary to God’s holy will and be determined to live as a follower of Christ. As a disciple of Christ, you will gradually learn how to live the Christian life- so don’t be concerned about the “do’s and don’ts” of the Christian life.
- Get Baptized- A person is officially initiated into the Christian Faith through Holy Baptism. This happens when the Word of God accompanies the sacramental waters and bestows upon the initiate the grace of spiritual rebirth. By means of Holy Baptism, the old nature is mystically buried with Christ and raised with him into a new creation.
- Attend Church Regularly– In order to grow as a follower of Christ, you need to be part of the Christian community and receive instruction by ministers of the Gospel. There’s no such thing as a “Lone Ranger” Christianity. In the community of the saints (the church), we experience Christ’s true presence in a special way.
- Pray and Read the Bible– Every Christian should develop a daily devotional discipline through which the disciple communes with God through the reading of the Word of God and Prayer. Your minister of the Gospel will be glad to give you some pointers as to how to develop or adopt a daily devotional. We recommend the daily devotional that is available through The Lutheran Hour Ministries. You can freely subscribe to it and receive via email the daily devotional.
If you would like to know more about the Christian Faith, please feel free to contact us. May the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus our Lord!